Nearly everyone that uses a computer has a need for word processing software at some point. Why pay for expensive software when there's a full-featured, free alternative? The LibreOffice suite contains programs for word processing, database, spreadsheet, and presentations. This course focuses solely on the word processing component, Writer.
While Writer is a powerful and capable word processor, the documentation for using it is sketchy at best. In this course, I explain how to use the most common features so you don't have to wade through the confusing manual.
I'm the author of the Sonrise Stable series of horse books for children. LibreOffice Writer is one program that I use in my workflow for creating those books. I'm a member of an online writers group. I save my files from LibreOffice Writer in Microsoft Word's docx format and submit them to the group for critiquing. I'm also able to read files from group members who are using Word. The exchange works flawlessly with LibreOffice Writer.
For most operations, the software is quite intuitive and easy to use. Development is active and ongoing. As new features are added to the program, I'll expand the course by adding videos covering those changes.
- If you're looking for a free, full-featured word processing program, check out LibreOffice Writer. You'll learn skills from basic to intermediate in this course.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Franklin University, Columbus, Ohio
- Raspberry Pi Certified Educator 2016
- Teaching experience: Columbus State Community College Adjunct Faculty Computer Dept.
- Teaching experience: Landry Academy, online homeschool academy
- Video Course Developer: OSTraining
- Freelance computer programmer
- Freelance web designer/developer with experience in Joomla, Wordpress, Processwire, Foundation, Bootstrap, UIKit
- I homeschooled my three daughters through high school.
- Author of the Sonrise Stable series of horse books for kids
- I love learning - and teaching! In my spare time I enjoy driving my cart pony, training horses, hiking, and tennis.
PreviewLibreOffice Writer Overview (6:36)
StartCreate, Open, and Save Files; File Formats (8:42)
StartCut, Copy, Paste; Paste Unformatted Text (7:45)
StartApplying Direct (Manual) Formatting to Text (11:21)
StartUsing Find, Find & Replace; Repositioning Toolbars (7:28)
StartFind & Replace, Change Character Case; Straight vs. Curly Quotation Marks (6:28)